Ground Rules

* Professional baseball, as we know it, began in 1869. So did the recording of scores for it. Therefore, no historical events prior to 1869 will be posted.

* I have tried to find lists of scores from baseball's amateur era, roughly 1858, when the rules became standardized, until 1868, the last officially all-amateur season. If I can find them, I will correlate them with famous dates history from those years, and extend this blog, probably starting in 1860, the year before the American Civil War began, the Year of Meteors, as historian Douglas Edgerton called it as the title of his book on the year's events.

* Baseball Leagues eligible to be covered in this blog: The National Association (NA, 1871-1875), the National League (NL, 1876-present), the American Association (AA, 1882-1891), the Players' League (PL, 1890), the American League (AL, 1901-present), and the Federal League (FL, 1914-1915).

* Professional Football Leagues eligible: The National Football League (NFL, 1920-present), the American Football League (AFL, 1960-1969), the World Football League (WFL, 1974-1975), and the United States Football League (USFL, 1983-1985).

* Previous AFLs (1926, 1936-1937 and 1940-1941), the World League of American Football (1991-1995), the XFLs (2001 and 2021-present) and the Alliance of American Football (AAF, 2020) are not eligible.

* The Canadian Football League (1954-present) will only be counted under 1 of 2 conditions: Either it's the point of the post, or if it had a game on a particular day, and no other North American sports league did.

* College Football: Games I deem big enough, or otherwise of interest to me. Being a native of New Jersey, and thus of the New York Tri-State Area, I will include games by teams from there when I can.

* Professional Basketball Leagues eligible: The National Basketball Association (1946-present) and the American Basketball Association (1967-1976). Scores for the National Basketball League (1937-1949) have thus far proven hard to come by. The American Basketball League (1961-1962) is not eligible, although I have written a post on its demise.

* I will include scores for the Women's National Basketball Association (1997-present) only when the post in question is specifically about that league.

* College Basketball: If a game is, by itself, important enough to warrant its own post, I will include it. Otherwise, no such scores will be mentioned.

* Hockey Leagues eligible: The National Hockey Association (1910-1917), the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (1911-1924), the National Hockey League (NHL, 1917-present), the Western Canada Hockey League (1924-1926), and the World Hockey Association (1972-1979).

* Soccer: This is a tricky one. If World Cup games were played on the day in question, I will include them. Otherwise, I will only include results if a post specifically applies to the league in question: The North American Soccer League (NASL, 1967-1984) or Major League Soccer (1996-present). As for the top flight of England's Football League -- Division One (1888-1992) and the Premier League (1992-present), well, I'm an Arsenal fan, and I'll include their results.

* Boxing: If a fight for one of boxing's major titles happened on the same day as another historical event, I will mention it. Otherwise, I will only mention a fight if it, itself, had some historical significance.

* High School Sports: I grew up in East Brunswick, Middlesex County, New Jersey, and am a graduate of East Brunswick High School. I will include such events from the history of the town and the school as I see fit.

* Other Personal Bias: I am an American, of English and Eastern European, especially Polish, descent. Politically, I am a liberal, both economically and socially. In music, I favor the rock and roll music of the 1950s and 1960s, and anything since that I believe is in the spirit of that earlier music. Nevertheless, I will include events from other genres of music. And many of this blog's posts, on many subjects, will have my personal thoughts on the events. And I will include my own birthdate as an event here, although I will limit my personal involvement to such events for which I might have been present. (There will be very few of those.) You don't like it? Make your own blog with your own thoughts.

* 2023 and After: This blog will be dated 2022. Any notations for "(Said person) is still alive" or "(Said event) hasn't happened since" will be as of the same date in calendar year 2022. Any updates I deem necessary, I will add as they occur. Any events that happen in 2023 or later, I will add as I see fit, but I will retro-date the posts about them, so that they appear to have been posted in 2022.

* No Scores: If a historic day has no games played, or no games other than the one in the post, I will say so.

* If you see that a certain event is not included, and you think it should be, there are two possibilities. One is that I intend to add it, and have not yet done so. I do have a list of events that I intend to add. The other is that I have not been convinced of the event's worthiness for inclusion. If you believe that this is the case, let me know in the comments, and, if the event you're asking for isn't on my list of those yet to add, I will consider it, and, if your argument is good enough, I am willing to be convinced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 30, 1939: The World of Tomorrow

February 1, 2015: Pete Carroll Calls a Pass

October 27, 2011: The David Freese Game